If you have been named as the executor in the Will of a deceased person, it will be your responsibility to wind up their affairs.
Our wills and estates lawyers in Melbourne will ensure that your duties as executor are undertaken diligently and thoughtfully, to alleviate your administrative burden during this difficult time.
Our probate lawyers have extensive experience with deceased estates. We understand how to navigate the legal landscape when it comes to managing the affairs of a person who has passed away, as well as protecting their interests and those of any beneficiaries they may have left behind. Our team can help with wills and powers of attorney, as well as prepare all necessary documents in order to apply for probate. We can ensure that your loved one’s assets are distributed according to their wishes and in a timely manner. Through our comprehensive approach, we aim to ensure that the entire process is as stress-free as possible. Whether you need advice on inheritance tax or guidance when dealing with contentious issues such as disputes between family members, our deceased lawyers will be able to provide the support and guidance you need. Don’t hesitate to contact us today for further information and a free consultation. We look forward to helping you with your deceased estate needs.
Our expertise includes:
- Applying for a Grant of Probate or Letters of Administration
- Recovering debt(s), collecting money on deposit & identifying shares and derivative instruments held by the deceased
- Discovering superannuation interests including the identification of any applicable binding death benefit nominations
- Perusing applicable insurance policies to collect death benefits payable to the estate
- Calculating any tax liabilities on testamentary distributions
- Preparing and lodging the final tax return for the deceased and any prior year tax returns not lodged; and
- Distributing the deceased estate to beneficiaries.
Wills & Powers of Attorney
A carefully drafted Will can ensure that your family stays together during a difficult time.
Our probate lawyers in Melbourne will ensure you are properly advised about contentious gifts of money or property which are likely to be challenged. We will carefully document your instructions and verify your capacity before you sign any testamentary document, to avoid any subsequent challenges over validity.
Estate lawyers in Melbourne can also assist you in preparing enduring powers of attorney to allow the people you trust to make important decisions about your finances, medical treatment and/or care in the event that you are unable to do so.
Our wills and estate lawyers in Melbourne have had considerable expertise in estate litigation, including:
- Challenges to the validity of a Will;
- Disputes over superannuation death benefit allocations; and
- General inheritance disputes i.e. Testator Family Maintenance claims.
Legal costs in estate litigation are typically borne by the estate and as such we can usually act for you on a No Win/No Fee basis. In the majority of our estate litigation matters, most are resolved at mediation.
Having family lawyers, criminal lawyers, family violence lawyer and property lawyers in Melbourne is a benefit to local families going through the often difficult process of divorce or other family law matters.
For assistance with a deceased estates matter, please contact us today.
Any information you share when seeking advice will not be disclosed.
Know that your case is being handled by an experienced team that gets results.
Our lawyers are experts and people too, taking a more human approach to the law.